Renan F. Varghese is a Senior Associate at Wigdor LLP. In addition to wage and hour class action litigations, Mr. Varghese focuses his practice on cases involving individual claims brought under Title VII, Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Rehabilitation Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Some of Mr. Varghese’s recent representative cases include:
- Successfully settled a class wage and hour action against a national soft drink company for over one million dollars;
- Reached a settlement of over one million dollars in favor of his client in a high-profile Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower retaliation case against a global banking and financial services company involving allegations of client overcharges and widespread systems failures;
- National class action litigation representing IT professionals against one of the world’s largest banks for various federal and state wage and hour violations;
- Representing the editor of a national magazine in a successful sexual discrimination, retaliation and hostile work environment case;
- Representing an international bank in response to allegations of racial discrimination;
- Breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty case on behalf of a former attorney against his law firm;
- Disability discrimination lawsuit representing a former school teacher denied tenure on account of obesity;
- Religious discrimination and retaliation case representing a former employee of one of the country’s largest insurance companies;
- Representing former music executive in severance negotiations against broadcast cable television network;
- Representing executive at major Japanese investment bank in racial discrimination and retaliation lawsuit.
Experience and Types of Cases
Mr. Varghese has years of experience representing a wide variety of clients in the labor and employment field, both in state and federal court and before various arbitration bodies.
He has also practiced management side litigation on behalf of large multinational corporations, international banks, and some of the largest companies in the country. In this capacity, Mr. Varghese litigated employment discrimination lawsuits, conducted internal investigations, drafted employment policies, and reviewed employee discipline and termination decisions. Mr. Varghese also has significant experience in the field of commercial litigation, including litigating issues concerning breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, failure to pay contractually mandated bonuses and tortious interference with business relationships.
Mr. Varghese also contributes to the community through volunteering and pro bono work and is currently involved in a project known as “Lawyers Without Borders,” where he and other attorneys at Wigdor LLP recently traveled to Kenya to train investigators on best practices in investigating and prosecuting wildlife crimes.
Mr. Varghese received his J.D. from New York University School of Law where he was a Staff Editor on the Journal of Legislation and Public Policy and a member of the South Asian Law Students Association.
Admitted to Practice
Mr. Varghese is admitted to practice before the courts of the state of New York and the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.