Michael J. Willemin is a Senior Associate at Wigdor LLP. Mr. Willemin represents individuals and corporations in federal and state court, as well as in arbitration. Mr. Willemin’s practice focuses on litigating labor and employment matters, including sexual harassment, race, gender, pregnancy, disability and age discrimination, retaliation, defamation, family and medical leave, wage and hour, whistleblower and contract cases. Mr. Willemin’s practice includes civil rights, appellate, and complex class and collective action litigation. Additionally, Mr. Willemin handles certain high‐profile personal injury cases, including wrongful death.
Based on his reputation, and the reputation of Wigdor LLP, Mr. Willemin is often able to procure very favorable settlements for many of his clients before a lawsuit is even filed.
Publicity and Recognition
Mr. Willemin’s cases have garnered significant media attention. Mr. Willemin has made television and radio appearances, including on WPIX and WCBS, and his cases are regularly reported on in the print and internet media, including in the New York Times, the New York Post, The New York Daily News, Buzzfeed, the Gothamist, the New York Law Journal and Law360. Mr. Willemin’s work has also been recognized by Super Lawyers, and he has been named to the New York Metro Rising Stars list four years in a row (2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017). This is a distinction reserved for only 2.5% of the attorneys in the New York Metro area.
- Litigation on behalf of two women in a sexual harassment action against their former employer, a very successful New York City hedge fund, and the managers of the fund;
- Pre‐litigation resolution of sexual harassment claims on behalf of two women against a multinational banking and financial services company;
- Litigation and favorable settlement for two women subjected to physical and verbal sexual harassment at the hands of their supervisors.
Discrimination, Retaliation and Whistleblower:
- Second chaired a disability discrimination trial resulting in a $1.35 million dollar jury verdict;
- Litigation and resolution of a five‐plaintiff gender discrimination lawsuit against one of the world’s largest banks;
- Litigation and resolution of a race discrimination action against a leading recruiting firm;
- Litigation and resolution of a pregnancy discrimination and retaliation action against a major media company;
- Pre‐litigation resolution of an age discrimination claim against a large investment bank;
- Pre‐litigation resolution of an age discrimination claim against a major pharmaceutical company;
- Prompt resolution of sexual orientation discrimination and retaliation lawsuit against a global banking institution;
- Litigation and resolution of age discrimination actions brought on behalf of two well‐ known television reporters;
- Litigation and resolution of disability discrimination and retaliation action brought against an international bank;
- Litigation and appellate litigation of a Sarbanes‐Oxley whistleblower retaliation action against another international bank.
Wage and Hour:
- An FLSA and New York Labor Law wage and hour class and collective action against an iconic New York restaurant;
- An FLSA and New York Labor Law wage and hour class and collective action against a renowned architectural firm;
- An FLSA and New York Labor Law wage and hour claim against one of New York City’s most famous restaurants;
- An FLSA and New York Labor Law wage and hour claim against a worldwide motor carrier.
Civil Rights and Catastrophic Personal Injury:
- Litigation of a negligence claim against the City of New York on behalf of a victim of multiple stab wounds;
- Litigation of a negligence claim against the City of New York and the New York Fire Department on behalf of a probationary firefighter who was killed during training;
- Litigation and successful resolution of claims of assault and battery resulting in serious injury;
- Litigation and successful resolution of claim of negligence against a famous New York City nightclub;
- Litigation and successful resolution of claim of sexual assault against a 17 year‐old female victim.
Advice and Counseling:
- Advice and counsel regarding various restrictive covenant agreements;
- Advice and counsel regarding various independent contractor and employment agreements;
- Advice and counsel regarding various separation agreements;
- Advice and counsel provided to companies concerning various employment and contract issues.
New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Star (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017). This is a distinction reserved for only 2.5% of the attorneys in the New York City area.
Mr. Willemin received his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law. While in law school, Mr. Willemin spent his summers interning at Legal ServicesNYC, Bronx and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. He also interned at the New York City Council in the General Counsel’s Office, and assisted indigent clients as a participant in Fordham Law’s Criminal Defense Clinic.
Mr. Willemin received his B.A. from Providence College. While at Providence College, Mr. Willemin interned at the Rhode Island Commission on Human Rights, where he investigated complaints of discrimination against Rhode Island employers.
Admitted to Practice
Mr. Willemin is admitted to practice law in both New York and Massachusetts, as well as the Southern District of New York and Eastern District of New York.