JEANNE M. CHRISTENSEN
Jeanne M. Christensen is a Partner at Wigdor LLP. Ms. Christensen is one of the most prominent female attorneys within the field of employment litigation, having represented thousands of plaintiffs in federal and state workplace disputes including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, discrimination on the basis of gender, race, age, pregnancy, disability, LGBT+ status and/or religion, whistleblower retaliation, defamation and wage and hour violations. Ms. Christensen concentrates her practice in class and collective actions on behalf of plaintiffs in employment and consumer cases. She has successfully arbitrated numerous matters on behalf of securities industry professionals and defrauded consumers before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). Ms. Christensen represents clients from a wide variety of professions including, but not limited to, the financial services industry, the media and entertainment industry, the restaurant and hospitality industry, and corporate entities.
Ms. Christensen is known for being a fervent supporter of women’s rights in the workplace. Her reputation includes representing female plaintiffs in some of the most widely-publicized cases involving sexual harassment, unequal pay, and gender and pregnancy discrimination in recent years. She is also an active member of the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund’s attorney network, the National Association of Consumer Advocates and Public Justice. Ms. Christensen’s tenacious pursuit of justice on behalf of victims of workplace misconduct has earned plaudits from former clients and opposing counsel alike, who often recommended her to victims seeking highly skilled legal counsel.
Ms. Christensen’s handling of numerous high-profile employment cases has resulted in frequent media appearances including CNN, Good Morning America, Megyn Kelly Today, Access Hollywood, the BBC, NPR, NBC, ABC, CBS and more. She is regularly quoted as a legal expert in leading national print and digital media including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker, The Washington Post, New York Law Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, New York Post, New York Daily News, TIME Magazine, Vanity Fair, Huffington Post, Financial Times, Barron’s, Law360, The Guardian, The Chicago Tribune, Adweek, CNET, Recode and many more. Due to her work handling prominent sexual harassment and gender discrimination cases, Ms. Christensen has appeared in a feature profile about her career in The American Lawyer.
Ms. Christensen is also an author and lecturer on various employment-related subjects. Because of her extensive litigation experience, she is a highly sought-after speaker, having appeared as a distinguished panelist at numerous national legal seminars and conferences, including events hosted by the American Bar Association (ABA), the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the American Conference Institute (ACI).
Below is a sample of Ms. Christensen’s recent publicity:
Ms. Christensen has been involved in the litigation of many large, complex and high-profile matters. Currently, she represents the plaintiffs a proposed class action against Avon, which is the first lawsuit of its kind to be filed on behalf of a proposed class of female employees that have needed to pump breast milk during work hours (the “Breast Pumping Class”). Ms. Christensen also represents the plaintiff in a lawsuit alleging systemic gender discrimination and unequal pay at Point72 Asset Management, which was lauded by The New York Times as “among the most prominent to accuse a major Wall Street firm of workplace misconduct amid a national reckoning on sexual harassment.”
Ms. Christensen’s recent representative cases include:
- Reached settlement agreement on behalf of multiple plaintiffs in a race discrimination and retaliation action against an international beverage company;
- Numerous settlement agreements on behalf of more than one thousand current and former service employees in wage and hour class actions against popular New York City restaurants;
- Multiple settlement agreements in individual and class-action racial profiling lawsuits against some of the largest department and retail stores in the United States;
- Successful representation of female executive assistants in a sexual harassment matter against a large, multinational financial services firm;
- Successful representation of an executive assistant in a race discrimination and retaliation action against a management consulting firm;
- Successful representation of administrator in a sexual orientation discrimination and retaliation action against a private New York primary school;
- Successful representation of a nurse in connection with claims of race discrimination and retaliation against a New York hospital;
- Successful representation of a loan officer who alleged race, age discrimination and retaliation against a national mortgage lender;
- Successful representation of executive assistant in a lawsuit alleging sexual harassment and failure to pay overtime against one of the largest real estate firms in New York City;
- Successful representation of individual plaintiff in connection with claims of gender discrimination and unequal pay against a large insurance company;
- Successful representation of a radio correspondent in a sexual harassment action against a New York radio station;
- Successful representation of a former fitness instructor in an age discrimination matter against a boutique fitness studio;
- Successful representation of a former Vice President of Sales in a pregnancy discrimination lawsuit against an international design company;
- Successful representation of an executive in a sexual harassment matter against a large advertising company;
- Reached settlement agreement in an individual disability discrimination action against an international law firm;
- Lead counsel in class action representing thousands of residential tenants against international real estate developer;
- Lead counsel in three class actions against national parking garage companies on behalf of individuals whose vehicles were destroyed during Hurricane Sandy;
- Represented consumers in breach of contract claims against major financial institution; and
- Representation of numerous female employees with pregnancy discrimination claims against major companies and institutions.
Ms. Christensen received her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Maryland School Of Law. She attended Smith College and graduated with a B.A. in History and Economics, cum laude, from the University of Vermont.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Southern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Eastern District of New York
- Member of the bar, New York and Maryland